Wednesday, August 12, 2009

La noche de la nostalgia, that wacky nouveau tradition in Uruguay

In case many out there are wondering what "la noche de la nostalgia" means or why we are being bombarded with special programming from every bar, club and hotel for the night of August 24, well, I don´t have a very good explanation.

All I know is that, in my teens, before I left Uruguay, "la noche de la nostalgia" was a party organized once a year by a radio station which was heavy on oldies programming. August 24 happens to be the eve of our national independence day holiday. Fast-forward a couple of decades, and I return to a country where LNDLN has spread like the H1N1 virus. In the interim, a uniquely Uruguayan --and somewhat depressing if you stop to analyze-- tradition has been born: a night when the entire country goes out partying to old hits and cover bands, everyone gets pissed drunk, and many people crash their cars or mopeds.

I have received a few invites already, but basically, it's like New Year's Eve, everyone and their mother "puts on a show" which often includes DJs, live music, and special dinner menus.
Both Viewpoint (the coffee shop&restaurant on Calle 20) and Awa Hotel (on Pedragosa Sierra) have sent us invites.

At Viewpoint, it's gourmet meal with dessert tasting, a bottle of wine per couple, unlimited champagne and DJ for US$60 per person.

At AWA, the offer sounds enticing, as it includes one night and two days' stay, with dinner at the hotel's bistro, and admission to Ocean Club for partying, all for US$115 per person based on double occupancy. Maybe appealing for someone from Montevideo wanting to make a weekend out of it...

Believe me, there are probably dozens of options, I'm just listing two I received mailings for.

1 comment:

  1. Ja! Margarita, I know the feeling, but now that I am back I find this "Noche de la Nostalgia" business kind of endearing... hasta estoy pensando donde catzo voy esa noche??!! I am "embracing my uruguayez" FELIZ NOCHE DE LA NOSTALAGIA.... lagrimon de por medio a todos!!

    ReplyDelete